I like using anticipation guides in my guided reading groups because it allows my ELLs to have an idea about what the story will be about and also sets a purpose for reading!
My steps to using an anticipation guide:
- Intro book’s main idea – table of contents skim and scan
- Front load any important vocabulary
- True/False Anticipation Guide- Set a purpose for reading
- Read for fluency and comprehension
- Thumbs up if you find information from the anticipation guide and monitor your comprehension
- Fill out After/During Reading and change any Falses to Trues with new information
Let me know if you use anticipation guides and like them for previewing the text to your ELLs!